Penne pasta mixed with marinara sauce, creamy ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan. This Baked Penne is oh so cheesy and oh so good!
With the arrival of the cooler weather comes the arrival of comfort food for dinner. Baked pasta dishes are a staple in our house. They are quick and easy to throw together and are generally FILLED with cheese…yum! They are so versatile, that you can use whatever pasta you have in the cupboard, mix and match cheeses, add meat or veggies (whatever is in the frig) and toss it all together with homemade or store-bought marinara sauce. Top it off with more cheese and dinner is on the table in a flash!
Although this little blog is focusing mostly on baking, I will occasionally be including some favorite family main dish items as well. Comfort food was a standard growing up and we especially loved baked pasta dishes. This particular version is very basic…just pasta, sauce, fresh parsley and loads of cheese. Simple ingredients that mix together, creating an easy dinner entree that is especially kid-friendly.
Simply cook the pasta, according to the package directions. Stir in ricotta, shredded mozzarella, garlic powder and chopped parsley.
A layer of sauce is poured in the bottom of a casserole dish and topped with all this cheesy, pasta goodness.
More sauce is poured over it all and it’s topped with a sprinkling of grated Parmesan.
Then put it in the oven; partially bake it and top it with MORE mozzarella. Bake a bit longer and it creates a pan of cheesy, gooey, pasta goodness. Baked Penne is sure to be a new family favorite at your house too. Happy Cooking!
Yields 6 servings
- 1 (16-ounce) pkg. penne pasta
- 1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 (28-ounce) jar marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- -additional parsley if desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 3-quart or 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Cook pasta according to package directions until just barely tender; drain.
- In large bowl, combine pasta, ricotta, half the mozzarella, garlic powder and 2 tablespoons parsley; mix well.
- Spread half of the marinara in bottom of prepared pan. Spoon pasta mixture evenly over sauce.
- Cover with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25 minutes. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella evenly over all and bake 10 minutes longer, until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with additional parsley if desired.