Can you ever have too many brownies recipes? I say no. If you are looking for a brownie with intense chocolate flavor, then look no further, because these are the Best Cocoa Brownies out there!
Growing up, brownie baking was a weekly happening at our house. My dad LOVED brownies, and a pan usually only lasted a few days. He has a HUGE sweet tooth and a deep, dark love of all things chocolate. (I know where I get my own chocolate addiction from!). His favorite brownies are a recipe posted here, that is rich and fudgy and has a thick layer of frosting. While I love that recipe too….sometimes I am in the mood for something that’s a little less sweet and has an more intense chocolate flavor. That’s where this recipe for Best Cocoa Brownies comes into play.
The recipe is based on the King Arthur Flour recipe for Fudge brownies, with a few minor tweaks. I reduced the cocoa a bit to sweeten them up just a touch, substituted some brown sugar to add a little depth to the flavor and I skipped a step where you needed to cook the sugar and butter together. The result is just a tad sweeter, has awesome chocolate flavor and still has that desirable flaky crust on the top.
You can feel free to make them your own, by substituting milk chocolate or dark chocolate chips for the semi sweet chips called for in the recipe. Milk chocolate will make your brownies sweeter overall and dark chocolate chips will intensify the chocolate flavor even more.
If you are feeling REALLY indulgent, serve them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some hot fudge sauce. Your brownies will keep really well in an airtight container for several days, if they last that long. I know they didn’t at my house! Happy Baking!
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/8 cups cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup butter
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat eggs 2 minutes until thick and lemon colored. Stir in cocoa, salt, baking powder, espresso powder and vanilla. (Mixture will be thick).
- In medium microwave safe bowl, heat butter until melted and just beginning to bubble. Whisk in sugar and brown sugar. Continue stirring until well blended.
- Add butter mixture to cocoa mixture; blend well.
- Add flour and mix just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30-32 minutes, just until set. Do not overbake. Cool completely.