Plump blueberries come together with fresh lemon flavor in this Blueberry Lemon Bread! Perfect for breakfast or with a cup of coffee!
Summer is coming to an end and although I hate to see the hot summer days and warm summer evenings come to an end, I am SOOOO excited for fall baking! I have been spending my extra time looking through “fall type” recipes that my mom saved. All things apple, pumpkin, gingerbread, caramel, cinnamon, etc. All flavors that I LOVE! And it’s not just the flavors….it’s the SMELL when they are baking! It just makes the whole house seem more cozy when the air outside is crisp and cool and something with cinnamon is baking in the oven. So get ready, because as soon as I am done posting this last “summer berry” recipe, I am coming at ‘ya with all things pumpkin spice and everything nice!
For the moment though, let’s take a look at this lemon quick bread. It’s moist, lemony and studded with lots of fresh berries!And like all “quick” breads, it goes together quickly, uses baking powder for leavening and bakes up quickly, so you can be enjoying fresh-from-the-oven bread with you morning coffee!
There are a few key factors to remember when making this Blueberry Lemon Bread. As with all baking, use the best quality and freshest ingredients. Fresh lemon juice versus bottled lemon juice really does make a difference in the flavor. You can use frozen blueberries for this recipe, but if fresh berries are in season, go for fresh. If it’s not fresh berry season, then go for the frozen, because frozen berries are picked at their peak of flavor and then frozen, so the flavor will actually be better than berries that are “out of season”.
To prevent your berries from sinking to the bottom of the loaf, be sure toss them in the flour as directed in the recipe. This flour coating will help keep them suspended in the batter while baking, so don’t skip this little step.
Other than that, it’s pretty easy! Just follow the steps carefully and use the correct size loaf pan. This recipe calls for an 8×4-inch pan, which is one of the standard sizes. The other is a 9×5-inch. Be sure you check the measurements of your loaf pan to be sure it matches your recipe. That’s it! So grab the last of the season’s fresh berries and bake a loaf of Blueberry Lemon Bread today! Happy Baking!
Tips and Tricks for Your Best Baking:
- Use high quality ingredients.
- Measure flour by spooning flour into measuring cup and leveling off.
- Use fresh squeezed lemon juice if possible.
Yields 1 loaf
15 minPrep Time
55 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 1 1/2 cups flour, divided
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh rated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 8x4-inch loaf pan; set aside.
- In small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the flour with blueberries; toss lightly to combine. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat 1 cup sugar, butter, eggs and 1/4 cup lemon juice on medium speed until well combined. In small bowl, stir together remaining flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternating with milk, beating well after each position. Fold in blueberry-flour mixture. Fold in lemon zest.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 55-65 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Remove from pan and place loaf on cooling rack.
- In small bowl, stir together glaze ingredients. Spoon over warm bread.