Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting….it doesn’t get an better than this!
Happy Valentine’s Day! Nothing says “I Love You” like a homemade sweet treat. Whether it’s something more elaborate, like Mocha Cheesecake, or something as simple as chocolate chip cookies, EVERYONE loves something home made from scratch.
My mom’s birthday was on Valentine’s Day, so that meant our sweet-treat-of-choice was cake. Her favorite was chocolate with chocolate frosting. In fact, one of the first things I ever learned how to bake was a “3-Hole Chocolate Cake”. It doesn’t require the use of a mixer…in fact the whole thing is mixed up in the pan, so it’s a good starter recipe!
These chocolate cupcakes use the same ingredients, but instead of mixing it in the pan, I mix them up in a bowl like a regular cake. You will notice there are no eggs involved. (Which also made it a popular choice to serve my vegan aunt!). The leavening comes from baking soda and a little vinegar. The result is a super-moist, chocolaty cake. I usually use regular cocoa, but if you want a more intense chocolate flavor, you can substitute dark cocoa powder.
The milk chocolate frosting uses milk chocolate chips and butter. The two ingredients are melted together and then powdered sugar is beaten in to create a rich and creamy frosting.
These Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting are worthy of any special occasion, but are so simple to make, they are perfect for every day. Bake some for your special someone today! Happy Baking!
Yields 24 cupcakes
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 3/4 cups (11.5oz pkg.) milk chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pans with 24 paper baking cup liners; set aside.
- In large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Make 3 indentations in the flour mixture. Pour vegetable oil into first indentation. Pour vinegar and vanilla into remaining indentations.
- Pour water over all. Beat on medium speed, 2 minutes, until smooth and well blended, scraping bowl often.
- Divide batter evenly among wells in prepared muffin pan, filling 2/3 full. Bake 18-22 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan; remove from pan and cool completely.
- To make frosting: In medium microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and butter. Microwave on Medium-High (70% power) for 1 minute. Remove from microwave and stir until smooth. Microwave an additional 10-20 seconds if needed.
- Beat in powdered sugar, alternating with milk, until smooth and creamy. Add additional milk if needed to reach desired consistency. Stir in vanilla.
- Frost cooled cupcakes.