Packed with great peanutty flavor that comes from peanut butter and finely chopped peanuts, these Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies are sure to please!
Peanut Butter Cookies have always been a favorite in my family. This recipe comes from one of my mom’s old church cookbooks that we often used when I was growing up. The pages are now dog-eared, splattered from a multitude of cooking capers and there are notes from trials and errors. The original recipe for these cookies was a pretty basic one, but at some point, we made the decision to bump up the nutty flavor.
The base of the recipe is just that….a basic peanut butter cookie recipe. It starts with butter, creamy peanut butter, and two kinds of sugar. Using brown sugar contributes to both the flavor and the soft texture of the cookies. Next we add eggs, vanilla, flour, salt and leavening ingredients. Then comes the magic ingredient: finely chopped peanuts. It only takes a quarter cup of salty cocktail peanuts to send the peanut flavor to the next level. To get the correct amount, measure out your cocktail peanuts first, then chop them. If you chop them first, and then measure, you will end up using more, which will make the cookies more crumbly.
Usually we made these little beauties as standard peanut butter cookies, where you roll the dough into 1-inch balls, dip them in sugar and then make the traditional crisscross pattern with a fork. I am taking these to studio for an afternoon treat, so today I decided to make them a little extra special by dipping them in melted chocolate and sprinkling them with more chopped peanuts. Can you really go wrong with peanut butter and chocolate? I don’t think so!
Look at all that milk chocolate goodness! They just look so pretty!
I hope you have some time to bake this week! If you have a little bit of extra time, make these Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies. If you are in a time crunch, just make them as traditional Peanut Butter Cookies. Either way, I know you’re going to love the fabulous peanut flavor. Happy Baking!
Yields 30 cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup salted peanuts, finely chopped
- - additional sugar for dipping
- 1 (6 oz. pkg) milk chocolate chips, melted
- -additional chopped peanuts for sprinkling
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In medium bowl, mix butter and peanut butter.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar and egg; beat on medium speed until well blended.
- Stir in egg and vanilla.
- In small bowl, stir together flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add to peanut butter mixture and blend well. Stir in finely chopped peanuts.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls; roll balls in sugar and place 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Using a fork, make a crisscross pattern on each cookie.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 8-10 minutes, until edges are set. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- When cooled, dipped half of each cookie in melted chocolate and sprinkle with chopped peanuts.