A fudgy brownie with a marshmallow layer and crispy peanut butter crunch topping. Double Chocolate Crunch Brownies are a triple-flavor treat!
Brownies. Doesn’t the word just make your mouth water? There are an endless supply of brownie recipes on the Internet and another gazillion on Pinterest. Soooo…what makes this one special? It’s a triple-flavor treat!
Do you know someone who has a sweet tooth? There are those with a sweet-tooth, and then there is my father. Oreos were a staple in the cupboard. To fill a gap on weekdays, when there wasn’t time to bake, he would eat an entire row of Oreos with a glass of milk. Another staple was tootsie-pop suckers. He would pop one in his month after dinner each night. But the first one wasn’t for sucking on. No, he would bite it a few times, chew it up in seconds and throw the stick away. Then unwrap another, pop it in his mouth and go savor that one while he read the paper. It’s a good thing he has a high metabolism!
To satisfy his sweet tooth, we were constantly baking. Peanut butter, chocolate and marshmallow were favorite flavors at our house. Basic brownies with nuts and chocolate frosting were a biweekly baking event. (Considering my dad ate an entire row of brownies in one sitting, a pan didn’t last long!). Peanut butter cookies also made a regular appearance. And for a last minute sweet craving, it was Rice Krispy squares.
These little morsels combine all three of those flavors to make a brownie-based bar that is the BOMB! It starts with an extra fudgy brownie that you bake and top with mini marshmallows to create an ooey-gooey layer.
Then you melt chocolate chips and peanut butter chips together, stir in crispy rice cereal and pour it all over the top, creating a crunchy chocolate-peanut butter topping that makes Double Chocolate Crunch Brownies melt in your mouth.
I would show you more photos, but they got eaten! Better make another trip to the store…Happy Baking!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cups crisp rice cereal
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In medium bowl, blend butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; beat on medium speed until well blended.
- In small bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix well.
- Spread batter in bottom of prepared pan; bake 15-20 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Sprinkle marshmallows over hot brownies; return to oven and bake 3 minutes, until marshmallows get puffy.
- Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes.
- Combine chocolate chips and peanut butter in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high heat, 1-2 minutes, until smooth, stirring often.
- Stir in cereal. Spread mixture over cooled bars. Cool completely before serving.
*Updated recipe...original had the cocoa omitted from ingredient list