A creamy, tart filling in a graham cracker crust. So quick and easy, Easy Key Lime Pie is a slice of summertime any time of year!
It has been close to 60 degrees F. the past few days here in Minnesota! SIXTY!! In FEBRUARY!?! That’s crazy! People are out running in shorts, walking their dogs, and wearing flipflops. I am loving every minute of this early taste of spring, but, I am trying not to get fooled into believing this balmy weather is here to stay. In fact, the weatherman is already talking about a potential snowstorm at the end of this week, so stay tuned!
Meanwhile, in order to really embrace this little taste of spring, I decided a “summertime dessert” was in order. And what could be better than Easy Key Lime Pie? I have made this pie for several occasions and every time I get requests for the recipe. It is just so good!
You can start with a pre-made graham cracker crust, or make one from scratch. My crust recipe calls for an optional touch of cinnamon. I have made it both ways for this pie and both are equally tasty. It’s really just personal preference. Bake the crust for just a few minutes, to get it to hold together, then it’s ready for filling.
Just four ingredients mix up together in bowl, creating a tart, yet sweet, extra creamy filling. You can use bottled key lime juice or fresh juice from key limes or regular limes. Whatever is readily available at your local market will work perfectly. This is really a no-fail recipe. And as a bonus, it’s so quick and there is barely any clean up. Just a whisk and a bowl!
When baking the crust, watch for the tiny bubble to rise to the surface. It really only takes about 6 minutes and it’s done. Be sure to chill it thoroughly before serving, so it slices nicely.
Garnish your masterpiece with a piped edge of whipped cream or top individual slices with dollops and fresh lime slices. Look how fresh and pretty that is? And the flavor tastes so incredible, I can almost hear the ocean. Almost…or is that the wind blowing in a winter storm? Oh well, for today, we are pretending it’s summer. Happy Baking!
Yields 8 servings
- 1 1/2 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 2 (14oz.) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup key lime or fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- -whipped cream
- -fresh lime slices
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In medium bowl, combine all crust ingredients; mix until well blended. Press mixture into 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake crust for 5-6 minutes, until set and just beginning to brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In large bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice and grated zest; mix well.
- Pour filling mixture into crust. Bake 5-8 minutes, until tiny bubbles come to surface; do not brown.
- Remove from oven. Let cool 15 minutes; refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.
- When pie is well-chilled, garnish with whipped cream and lime slices. Store in refrigerator.