Four ingredients create these Easy Rum Truffles that are oh-so-creamy and sure to satisfy your chocolate craving!
Need a quick homemade holiday gift? Here it is! These Easy Rum Truffles are the quick, no-fail answer. Just one bowl, a saucepan, and a spoon, are all you need, which means quick clean up! (You’re welcome).
Chocolate has always been a favorite at my house. My dad has a HUGE sweet tooth, so I learned to bake a lot of sweet treats when I was growing up. They are made with pantry items, which means you can always have the ingredients on hand for a last minute gift.
I like to make them with rum extract, but you can use other flavorings as well. Try vanilla, almond, orange or peppermint to shake things up. And the coatings are just as versatile. Any type of nut can be chopped and used for rolling your truffles in. Don’t have any nuts in the cupboard? Cocoa, powdered sugar or chocolate jimmies work too.
Are you more of a milk chocolate or dark chocolate fan? Milk chocolate or dark chocolate chips can be substituted for the semisweet chips called for in the recipe. That’s what makes this recipe so fun….You can mix and match flavors and coatings to create a variety that compares to any chocolate shop.
Store your truffles in the refrigerator, but they taste best if they have warmed up a bit before serving. Keep some chocolate chips, a can of sweetened condensed milk and some some flavoring on hand so you can make Easy Rum Truffles any time you need a little gift for someone, or a treat for yourself. Happy Baking!
Yields 6 dozen truffles
- 8 oz. high quality semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 8 oz. high quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 3 cups chopped pecans
- In large saucepan, melt semisweet chocolate, bittersweet chocolate and sweetened condensed milk together over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in whipping cream and rum extract. Refrigerate 2 hours, until firm enough to roll into balls.
- Shape into 1-inch balls and roll in chopped nuts. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking pan.
- Chill 1 hour to set. Store in covered container in refrigerator.
- Let stand at room temperature for 25 minutes before serving.