White chocolate chips and colorful sprinkles join together to create these melt-in-your-mouth Funfetti White Chocolate Sugar Cookies.
Happy Monday! My plan for today was to bake the recipe for one of my mom’s favorite sugar cookies. Since it’s a rather gloomy Monday, I opted to kick these cookies up a notch by stirring in some white chocolate chips and colorful sprinkles. Sprinkles have a way of making everything just a little bit more festive and who doesn’t need that on a Monday? The cookies are equally good without them, but it just seemed like a good fit. White chocolate and sprinkles, how could you go wrong?
They are one of BEST sugar cookies, because they use both regular sugar AND powdered sugar. This combination creates a cookie that is extra tender and literally melts in your mouth. The other powerhouse combination? Baking soda and cream of tartar! OK, time to put on my food science nerd hat and explain. When baking soda and cream of tartar are used together in baking, they form a gas, which then creates a tender, pillowy cookie. And the cream of tartar adds a bit of tang to the flavor of the cookie. (Think snickerdoodles). OK, the science portion of this post is over, now back to these awesome cookies!
The hefty dose of sprinkles makes them perfect for holidays or a party. Just change the color to match the occasion. Try red and green for holidays, pastel colors for spring or how about using school colors for a school spirit event? Whatever color you choose, Funfetti White Chocolate Sugar Cookies are perfect for any occasion. Or just make them because it’s Monday. (Or Tuesday, or Wednesday….). Do you really need a reason? These thick, tasty cookies freeze really well, so you can have them on hand anytime! Happy Baking!
Yields 3 dozen cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup multicolored sprinkles
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- -additional sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl, mix butter, oil, 1 cup sugar and powdered sugar together. Add eggs and vanilla; blend well.
- In medium bowl , stir together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, mixing well after each addition. Stir in sprinkles and white chocolate chips.
- Shape dough into walnut-sized balls. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Using a glass that has been dipped in sugar, flatten each dough ball slightly.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes, until edges are just beginning to brown. Cool 1 minute on pan before removing to cooling rack.