Roasted street corn with mayo, lime juice, queso fresco and crema meets cheesy nachos in these tasty Mexican Street Corn Nachos. SO much flavor in every bite!
Have you tried Mexican street corn? It’s AH-MAZING! Imagine hot, roasted corn, slathered in mayonnaise, sprinkled with chopped fresh cilantro, queso fresco cheese and chile powder. Oh yes! But what’s a girl to do when it’s not fresh corn season? Make the next best thing…Mexican Street Corn Nachos!
Most of the time, my little corner of the Internets is devoted to baking. Baking is what I enjoy the most and I have a big sweet tooth. And one of my favorite things is to bake treats for other. It’s so fun to see the look on someone’s face and hear their reaction when they bite into something decadent. But today I created something savory that sent my family over the top, so I just had to share!
Cinco De Mayo is coming! Are you celebrating by cooking up a Mexican meal? Making Margaritas? Chomping on chips and salsa? I was working on some sweet recipes for celebrating and I kept seeing recipes online for Mexican sweet corn, which got me craving that summertime treat! We have JUST started to get some fresh corn at the grocery store, but its seems a little early for anything that’s going to have that wonderful peak-season flavor. SO, I got to thinking….how about finding a way to use frozen corn with all those other Mexican street corn flavors? And that’s when I thought, NACHOS!
These are SO easy! You start with a pile of crispy corn tortillas that are topped with melted cheddar and pepper jack cheese. Then you simply roast some frozen corn kernels in a skillet until they brown, and stir in a little mayonnaise. This wonderful mixture gets spooned over the cheesy chips, and then you pile on the queso fresco, green onions, cilantro and a heavy drizzle of crema.
Never tried crema? You are in for a treat! It’s like sour cream, only a little thinner in consistency and a little zestier in flavor. It comes in a squeeze bottle, which makes it super simple to load it on! No crema? No problem! You can make a substitute by mixing 1/4 cup sour cream, 1/4 teaspoon lime zest and a teaspoon of lime juice. Easy Peasy!
That’s it! So quick and simple, but this is going to take your nacho consumption to a WHOLE. NEW. LEVEL! So, even if you didn’t have any big plans for Cinco De Mayo, do yourself a favor and at least whip up these Mexican Street Corn Nachos. You’ll be glad you did. Happy Cooking!
Yields 4-6 servings
17 minPrep Time
3 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 (10-oz.) pkg. frozen whole kernel corn
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 (9-oz.) package corn tortilla chips
- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Pepperjack cheese
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup crumbled queso fresco or Cotija cheese
- 1/4 cup crema (or substitution listed in post)
- -lime wedges
- -chile powder
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. In medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add corn and cook, stirring often, until kernels have browned a little. Remove from heat and stir in mayonnaise and water; set aside.
- Place tortilla chips on baking pan, pizza stone or oven-safe platter. Sprinkle with Cheddar and Pepperjack cheeses.
- Bake chips for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted. Spoon corn mixture over chips. Sprinkle with green onions, cilantro and queso fresco. Drizzle with cream. Serve with lime wedges and chile powder.