A super moist pumpkin cake with a crunchy crumb topping. Pumpkin Crumb Cake is the perfect fall breakfast treat!
It has been a beautiful fall here in Minnesota! We have had some wonderful warm days and cool nights, making for spectacular leaf colors! I have been digging out the sweaters and scarves. It’s a good thing, because suddenly this week, the weather took a turn. The high for the past two days has been 48 degrees. Brrrr…..I am definitely not ready for the cold weather yet. But this crisp air definitely has me thinking about pumpkin.
I had my first Pumpkin Spice Latte this week. Really, I am not a big coffee drinker. I am more of a “creamy-milky-sweetened-flavored-with-a-hint-of-coffee-taste” drinker. So, all those fall-flavored beverages at the local coffee shop are totally my jam. And they taste even better with crumb cake!
Who doesn’t love crumb cake? Or should I say, “Who doesn’t love that crunchy topping on crumb cake?” Really, it’s ALL about the crumbs. Although, today’s recipe for Pumpkin Crumb Cake is so tasty, I think you will agree that the crumbly topping and the moist and tender pumpkin cake are equal when it comes to flavor.
We start with melted butter, which adds to the rich flavor, and makes it extra moist. In fact, it’s so moist, it will taste fresh-baked a few days later. (But it’s so yummy, I bet it won’t last that long!). A whole can of pumpkin adds to the texture and flavor as well. The crumbly topping uses butter and brown sugar (how could you go wrong?) and a little pumpkin pie spice for that wonderful fall flavor. Give it a generous dusting of powdered sugar just before serving and you’ve got yourself a melt-in-your-mouth breakfast treat! Serve some this weekend with your favorite cup o’joe. Happy Baking!
Yields 16 servings
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 (15-oz.) can pumpkin
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts
- -powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan set aside.
- In medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl, combine 1 1/3 cups sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar and melted butter; mix well.
- Stir in eggs.
- Add flour mixture, alternating with milk until all has been added. Add pumpkin and mix well.
- Stir in nuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- For topping: combine all topping ingredients and mix until well combined. Sprinkle topping mixture over batter in pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F.for 45-50 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving.