Love Salted Nut Roll candy bars? These Salted Peanut Chews taste like the popular candy. Salty, sweet, crisp and chewy all rolled into one delicious bar.
Happy Halloween! It’s the day that every kid and kid-at-heart loves. And it’s a great excuse to buy (and eat!) candy! According to a national poll of candy preferences, KitKat candy bars are the favorite of Minnesotans. What’s your favorite? Mine are Twix and Butterfingers. I bought 3 bags of each to hand out this evening. I hope we get a lot of trick-or-treaters, or you know who is going to be eating those!
My mom wasn’t a big candy eater. But there was one exception. She loved Salted Nut Rolls. I am certain when she came across this recipe card for Salted Peanut Chews at her local grocery store she was excited to be able to make a pan of bars that matched her favorite candy flavors.
These bars start with a brown sugar cookie crust. Butter, flour and brown sugar, what could be better? This gets pressed into a baking pan, is baked and then gets topped with a layer of miniature marshmallows. By returning the pan to the oven for a minute or two, the marshmallows all melt together into a fluffy, creamy layer.
While this cools, peanut butter chips and corn syrup are melted together. Then we add salty cocktail peanuts and crispy rice cereal. This gooey mixture of peanutty, salty, crispy goodness gets poured over the marshmallow layer, creating a three-layered, extra yummy bar!
The other great thing about these bars? Once that peanut layer sets up, they cut really nicely and they travel well. Take them to your next fall get-together. They are sure to be a hit! Happy Baking!
Yields 24 bars
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2/3 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (12-oz.) pkg. peanut butter chips
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 2 cups salted cocktail peanuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl, combine all crust ingredients, except marshmallows, until crumb mixture forms.
- Press crust mixture into 9x13-inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 12-15 minutes, until light golden brown.
- Remove from oven; sprinkle evenly with marshmallows; return to oven and bake for 1-2 minutes, until marshmallows begin to puff.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- In large saucepan, heat corn syrup, 1/4 cup butter, vanilla and peanut butter chips. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, just until mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat; stir in cereal and peanuts. Spoon warm topping over marshmallow layer, spreading to cover.
- Chill at least 2 hours before cutting.