Broccoli, craisins and bacon get tossed together in a tasty dressing for this Springtime Broccoli Salad.
It’s SPRING!!! YAAAAAY! Time to pull out some brighter colored clothing, open the windows and do a little spring cleaning! Springtime in Minnesota can be a roller coaster as far as the temperature goes….warm one day, freezing the next. I never know exactly how to dress from day to day, and more often than not, I am cold. But one thing is for sure…spring makes me want to eat more vegetables and salads.
I have been baking a LOT of sweets for work lately, which I LOVE doing. But today I am on a bit of a sugar overload. So rather than posting something rich and chocolaty, I decided to share one of my family’s favorite salads. My mom’s binder of recipe clippings called this “Springtime Broccoli Salad.” I have also seen similar recipes for “Sunshine Broccoli Salad” and “Broccoli Bacon Salad”.
Basically, it’s broccoli, red onions, dried cranberries, bacon and sunflower seeds tossed in a sweet-tangy dressing. OK, I know bacon makes it less healthy, but that salty goodness mixed with the sweetness of the craisins makes a perfect combination. Do you have a vegetable-hater in your house? I bet they would eat broccoli this way! My 83-year-old dad has NEVER been a vegetable fan, but he likes this salad! (Must be that bacon) .
Besides being oh-so-tasty…it’s extra pretty! Try this as a light lunch option, serve it as a side dish or take it to your next picnic. It’s perfect anytime…spring, summer, winter or fall! Happy Cooking!
Yields 8 servings
- 1 large bunch of fresh broccoli, cleaned, cut into bite-sized pieces (about 6 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 8 strips bacon, fried crisp, drained and crumbled
- 3/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- In a large bowl, toss together broccoli, onion, dried cranberries, bacon and sunflower seeds; set aside.
- In medium bowl,combine mayonnaise,sugar and vinegar; mix well.
- Pour dressing over broccoli mixture; toss lightly to combine. Store in refrigerator.