A layer of chocolate, topped with cream cheese filling, fresh strawberries and a drizzling of chocolate make this Strawberry & Chocolate Cream Pie a perfect spring or summer dessert!
Strawberry Season is here! The local “pick your own” farms are open, which means it’s time for all-things-strawberry. I always make a batch or two of strawberry freezer jam to enjoy some now and save some for January, when local berries are a fond memory. Nothing tastes better on a winter morning than fresh baked bread with strawberry freezer jam. I will be making jam next week, so look for the recipe soon! But I am getting off track. Let’s get back to Strawberry & Chocolate Cream Pie, which is the perfect combination of chocolate, fresh berries and a creamy, slightly tangy, cream cheese layer. Oh my gosh….this is just SO good! Yesterday was Father’s Day, which meant a BBQ. We had all the traditional picnic favorites and topped off the meal with this amazing pie. I found the recipe in my mom’s box of recipe cards. It is a clipping from a magazine and has a little blue ribbon on it that says “grand prize”, so I am assuming it won some sort of reader contest. After just one bite, my family agreed, this one is definitely a winner!
It starts with a pre-baked pie crust. You can use your favorite recipe or as a time saver, buy the refrigerated dough…I won’t tell! Once the crust is baked and cooled, we top it with a thin chocolate layer. On top of this goes a velvety layer made from cream cheese, sour cream, sugar and vanilla. This all goes into the refrigerator to chill for a bit.
Next comes the layer of strawberries. The original recipe called for whole berries to be arranged with the tips up. I think this looks rather dated and the whole berries are hard to eat with a fork. Instead, I cut the medium-sized berries in half and sliced up any larger berries. Four whole cups of these jewels get piled on top and then they all get brushed with melted strawberry jam. Use some good quality jam for the best flavor. I love the added sweetness the jam provides and it also makes all those berries sparkle!
The final touch is a little drizzle of melted chocolate. Chocolate and strawberries…how can anyone resist?
This Strawberry & Chocolate Cream Pie looks so impressive, but it is SO easy! And the flavor is absolutely Blue Ribbon quality. Make this recipe for your next backyard BBQ or just to celebrate strawberry season! Happy Baking!
Yields 8 servings
- 4 (1 oz.) squares semisweet chocolate, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (9-inch) baked pie crust
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam, melted
- In small saucepan, melt 2 ounces chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth. Spread over bottom of baked pie crust. Place in refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, beat cream cheese, sour cream, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over chocolate layer in crust. Cover and chill 2 hours.
- Spoon strawberries over cream cheese filling. Brush melted jam over berries.
- Melt the remaining 2 ounces of chocolate and drizzle over all.
- Refrigerate until serving time.